The Sortavala market place was active between 1838 and 1944. It was located in a triangle between Karjalankatu, Valamonkatu and Torikatu, almost at the centre of the Sortavala old town.
The decision to establish the market place was made in 1836, when the municipal administrative court nominated what was then a plot belonging to the Wendt heirs as the new market place. A report on Sortavala in the 1810 shows that before the completion of the market square, peasants would trade on the sides of streets or from their boats. In Engel's plan from 1838, the market square was to be moved between the lake shore and the Lutheran church and named Alexander Square. This proposal, however, was never realised. The residents of Sortavala were not interested in realising the new town plan, as it would have required tearing down and rebuilding the old town almost in its entirety. A land survey carried out by Lönnström in 1857 shows that the market square remains in its old place, as it does in the Edelfelt plan of 1860. The market place remains untouched also in the Järnefelt plan from 1879/81, and remained so throughout the Finnish period of Sortavala. Today, the market square has been replaced by a park.