Frame: Brick and concrete, facade: Plaster
Based on a request by the oil company Shell, a triangular plot of land at the corner of Valamonkatu and Kristiinankatu was made into a location for a bus and service station. In the early 1930s the need for a bus station was seen as one of utmost urgency, thanks to the approaching festivities for the 100th anniversary of The Kalevala in 1935. The plans for the station were ordered from architect Uno Ullberg from Viipuri, but were modified several times during construction as requirements for new facilities were discovered. Originally the station was to be 1717m3 but would eventually became 3882 m3 by the time it was completed in summer 1935. The city council felt that the administration had exceeded its mandate when modifying the plans during construction, but in two years an enlargement of the station was already being planned.
Today only a small portion of the building remains in use. The structure under the cote was originally a service station. During Soviet rule it was used as a bus service station until 1970. In the 1980s it was renovated and nowadays it houses a storefront. At the Ulitsa Kirova (Valamonkatu) –side of the building there are two more stores. Ulitsa Zikalova (Kristiinankatu) –side houses a coffee shop. PHOTOS: 1. Bus station in 1939. North Karelian Museum. 2.-3. Years 2000 and 2012.