The construction of the Kisamäki church began in 1799, and the church was adopted into use as it was still partly unfinished in 1801. The builders were Juhana and Matti Salonen from Savitaipale. The church represented a centralised style, where the cross-shaped centre expanded into a large square-shaped church hall. In the beginning, the church made use of the old Kirkkoniemi bell tower, completed in 1753-1756, until Adam Alopaeus from Kesälahti built a new one after the Finnish War in 1811-1812. The church building was finalised by Erik Kuorikoski in 1843–1844, the period during which he also restored the Alopaeus bell tower. The official dedication of the church was performed finally in 1844.
The first Lutheran church in Sortavala was built in Helylä in 1943. After just over a decade, it was destroyed first during the so-called Rupture War and later in the Russian occupation in early 18th century. The next church was completed in Kirkkoniemi in 1740, which at the time was still outside town limits. The construction of the church was hastily done: soft, clayey soil was chosen as the location, and the building soon began to fall into disrepair to an extent that it was deemed was deemed hazardous for church goers. In 1777, a permit was granted to build a new church, with the rocky Kisamäki hill as the location.