Hospital of the Deaconess Institute photographed from the opposite side of Vakkosalmentie road in 1910: the building has gained a yellow coat of paint and bedlinen is being aired on the balcony. In the background, on the other side of the Vakkolahti bay to the left we can see the Sortavala Girls' School, in the centre the tower of the Lutheran church and on the right the wooden pedestrian bridge, Pitkäsilta.
Out of the two building complex, the building with its gable towardsVaakosalmentie road was used for the needs of the Deaconess Institute,and the hospital itself functioned in the part located further back. Inaddition to the Hospital of the Deaconess Institute, Wivi Lönn alsodesigned its two additional buildings, the smaller of which, the one onthe side of the road, was a morgue. They larger outhouse includedstorage facilities, a cowhouse, a stable and a pigsty.