Wooden frame and facade
The Krasilnikoff Building is the oldest building in Sortavala. The plot was bought by merchant Konstantin Krasilnikoff in an auction organised in 1838. The house appears to have been built already the following year. The earliest photo of the house was taken from the Kuhavuori hill in the early 1870s. The building is empire building, except for a habitable cross-cable attic floor (mansard). The current appearance of the house dates to 1876 when its then owner, Elisabeth Hallonblad, had the alterations performed by master builder Leander Backman. A new section was added to the building and the mansard was demolished. In 1895, Elisabeth Hallonblad donated one room of her building for the use of the historical-ethnological museum of the town of Sortavala and had built an indoor replica of a cottage room in the style of old Border Karelia, where she ordered two dress studies from sculptor Robert Stigell. The museum's ethnological collection was transferred to the two rooms from the town hall.
Elisabeth Hallonblad bequeathed the entire building to the town of Sortavala, stating the condition that it was to be used as facilities for the town's museum, library and study hall. During the Civil War of 1918, the building housed a venereal disease hospital with 30 beds. In 1926, the house underwent a renovation, and the library and the museum were able to return to the renovated premises where the operated until the expansion of Seurahuone. During the Continuation War, the Krasilnikoff building functioned as a temporary primary school of Finnish children from February 1942 until 1943, as the actual primary school was being used as a military hospital. During the Soviet era of Sortavala, Krasilnikoff building functioned as a day-care centre in the 1950s and the 1970s. The extension added in the time of Elisabeth Hallonblad housed the institutional kitchen. The most recent renovation of the building and the extension was performed in the 1990s. Up until recently, the building housed a service centre for the elderly, and it is currently being used as a refuge for children.