The Lutheran church in Kisamäki that had been deemed too small was restored and expanded in 1893–94. The designs were produced by architect Ivar Aminoff. The structure and appearance of the church were also renewed. For example, a high bell tower was built that was incorporated into the church building, and the peak of the central roof was cut off and replaced with a lantern characteristic of a Greek Catholic church. The facades were boarded and decorated. The bell tower hat had been completed in 1812 remained in use as a fire watch tower until 1896.
Not everyone was pleased with the alterations. The original church, built by local master builders had been beautiful and harmonious. Now many were of the opinion that it had been ruined. Dean Oskari Kanervo criticised the repairs in a woeful tone in 1932: "At the time, our church architecture was at such primeval level that this kind of mixture of styles was deemed possible. But the parishioner were happy, as the church gained significantly more space and light. Matters of style were not given the value they deserved."