The photo taken from the church tower shows a view to the town centre in the direction of the Läppäjärvi lake. In the foreground, we can see Koulukatu with its buildings: in the 1920s, the light-coloured building designed by Oski Leander in 1898 in the corner of Koulukatu and Kirkkokatu housed the Kontinen café and bakery and the office, textile factory and dressmaker's shop of Saikkonen Oy. An empire building owned by the Alopaeus family faced it on the opposite side of the street. Both buildings were destroyed in an air raid on 2 February 1940. The Alopaeus (originally Aurelius) building was constructed in the 1840s, and it can be found in A.F. Lönnström's surveying map from 1857. The building housed a hospital from 1843 until the 1850s and was later used as a school. The Alopaeus family owned the building from 1897 onwards.
At the end of Koulukatu, in front of the Siitoin building, we can see the fire station and its tower. On the other side of the road is the castle-like Leander building representing national romanticism and accompanied by the old, single-floor Leander house. The houses of the old town remain hidden behind the Siitoin building dominating Torikatu with its roof and corner tower drawn against the backdrop of the lake. A small single-floor house can be detected between the Siitoin building and Oy Liiketalo, which was completed to house the Sortavala branch of the Suomen Kauppapankki bank in 1908. In 1924 the bank became part of Helsingin Osakepankki. The Oy Liiketalo building was also destroyed in an air raid in February 1940.