Viljo Hakulinen (photo), Elsi Borg (architect)
One year after the expansion of hotel Seurahuone, the accommodation capacity of Sortavala increased even more when Hotel Hospiz maintained by the Young Women's Christian Association was completed in the Kymölä side at the corner of Karjalankatu and Seminaarikatu in 1939. The Funkis-style building with clear lines was designed by Elsi Borg (1893–1958), who at the time was employed by the construction office of the Ministry of Defence. In addition to hotel facilities and restaurant, the building contained residential apartments, a bakery, a church and three shop premises, one of which housed the YWCA's own bread and milk shop. During the Continuation War the building was used as a temporary church by the town parish. Sortavala's last candidates for matriculation examination took their exams here in 1944, due to the schools being in military use.
The activities of the Sortavala Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) had a very practical foundation. In 1919 the association bought its own building, in order to gain income from rent. The most significant tenant was a day-care centre and crèche operated by the Mannerheim League for Child Welfare. In 1924, a home bakery was established, and the following year a café. The Kukkaissaari summer restaurant was operated by the YWCA for ten years, and the association's own motorboat handled the traffic to the island. The association opened a stationery shop in 1927. The Christian work performed by the YWCA included plenty of service to others, such as visiting the sick. Other activities included evening get-togethers, prayer meetings, mission evenings and activities for girls. In 1927, the YWCA took under its wing a girl troop left without a leader that was then named the Fragments of Lake Ladoga.