"It was extremely fortunate for Sortavala that the Domestic Mission Society of the Church of Finland had located its hospital facilities there and had begun to provide extensive medical care services. When the town had such a good internal disease hospital, the General Hospital could be reserved for surgical cases," wrote Tauno Relander after the war. The activities of the Hospital of the Deaconess Institute were important not just for Sortavala but for the Ladoga Karelia as a whole.
The Hospital of the Deaconess Institute was much larger than the neighbouring General Hospital. Officially, the hospital building started out with 60 beds. With internal rearrangements the number was increased to 72. Until 1921, the downstairs facility had 25 places for "idiots". The section reserved for consumptives was active for approximately ten years. In addition to internal disease patients, children, dermatology patients and eye disease patients were all treated at the hospital. In 1930, the hospital gained an up-to-date, good-quality laboratory that enabled the performance of "clinical laboratory tests and measurements and different microscopical examinations," as a history of the town of Sortavala from 1932 so proudly stated. Until 1928, a chief or assistant physician of the General Hospital acted as the physician of the Hospital of the Deaconess Institute, the first of whom was Chief Physician G. J. Winter. The last physician of the Deaconess Institute was Einar Marttinen, senior nursing officer deaconess Alma Ritari and treasurer Aarno Vainikainen.